Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some favorite things about fall...and in no particular order:
- football
- college football
- professional football
(k, I'm done with football now)
- the smell of fallen leaves. I really noticed it today when I got home from my day with 2nd graders. Pretty much the whole tree out front is bare, and on my car, and I could really smell it tonight when I came home from choir. It's a hard smell to describe, but it smells like fall to me. And it makes me sneeze.
- all things pumpkin flavored. I'm avoiding Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes (so hard for me, but I'm staying strong) and instead have discovered pumpkin pie chai at McConn in IWU's student center. I plan to get another tomorrow morning when I meet up with a friend, and I'm very excited about it.
- caramel apple suckers, which I need to buy more of. I'm totally out after being so generous at work for a couple days :)
- cooler weather, which means hoodies, sweatshirts, and cardigans. love love. I'm not, however, ready to completely cover my toes, so I have the Indiana look going on right now...hoodie, jeans, and flipflops.
- the reminder that one of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving, is coming. I need to work on being more thankful for things. The Experiment in Thankfulness I embarked on a couple years ago definitely needs to be attempted again because I'm doing a terrible job of it lately. I say I'm more thankful than I think I actually am. As with many things lately, I'm putting on a great front, but inside I'm kind of a mess. In addition, I complain a lot, verbally as well as in my spirit. And it's not attractive at all, especially to my overly self-analytical attitude. I feel I'm constantly paranoid about how I appear to others, and it's depressing me lately as I feel my complaing about things that should be blessings has reached a new high. My soul needs a makeover.

This post turned into something else entirely. So while I'm at it, I'll ask for prayer.

1 comment:

Dana said...

First... the smell of fall. I totally understand what you mean and I learned last year what that AMAZING smell really is. Do you want to know??

Second... I'm praying for you right now. I had a conversation about thankfulness with my little girl this afternoon while we spent some time on our back yard bench swing. We randomly made a spur-of-the-moment list of things for which we can be thankful (and I'm smiling at the memory since she's still only 4 and comes up with some doozies). It made me stop and think about how, even though I try to keep thankfulness on my lips, I find myself internally complaining too much.

Someone recently reminded me that "Comparison is the death of contentment," so let's join together to quit comparing and start reclaiming our contentment! :o)