Thursday, September 27, 2012

just some thoughts

I want to know...where did September go? Seriously...where did it go? All day yesterday I felt like it should have been Thursday and it was only Wednesday, so why on earth would I think this month has gone by quickly?

Because it has. Once I started MA classes again, time has just flown. Probably because I think in terms of units of my courses now, not in actual real time. October is going to be super busy, I can already tell...particularly the beginning of it. And I think it's going to take all my strength and attention to keep up with it all, school and everything else. I'm also working on average about 3 days a week, and that, considering my school work, is plenty for me at this point.

Play time in Fairmount comes this weekend in the form of James Dean Days. Exciting stuff, just about the only thing to look forward to when you live in this small town. People coming and going, lots of yummy fair food, good music and fun cars, constant traffic going in and out of town...always look forward to it. This small town really comes alive, too, so it's always fun. The next weekend is homecoming at IWU and the Gaither Vocal Band concert. Then a few days later, I get to see a wonderful gal who is coming all the way from California to Indy for a conference and plans to set aside some time for us to catch up. We haven't seen each other since our Nanjing days (hers were much shorter, but we were neighbors in pukou and church mates for those several months...and you're always connected after that :) no matter how short the time). I'm really looking forward to seeing her again.

All that...and saying goodbye to a dearly loved family member. If you remember, I lost an aunt back in June, and three days ago, my great-aunt passed away. We were close to her, my great-uncle, and my dad's cousin and her family who all live in Florida, seeing them when we would go down to Florida for our yearly visits. We knew the time could be getting shorter with my aunt, particularly when we saw her on our last trip in March, but it doesn't make it any easier to finally release her into the Father's care. If you think of my family, lift them up in prayer, particularly my great-uncle and my dad's cousins and their families. The funeral in Florida will be this weekend, then the Ohio family and friends will gather at the beginning of October to celebrate her life.

There is a lot going on. I sigh as I think about it all, the good with the bad. The busy with the mundane. And I think about His faithfulness. Last night during choir, we rehearsed the Brooklyn Tab song "He's Been Faithful". I'd heard the song before but never sung it in a choir. And during "family time", we talked as a choir about the times we've seen His faithfulness. It can be in something as big as a death of a spouse and seeing how God brings love into your life again. It's in things like going through what seems like endless visa processes so you can live where you feel called. It's in the little things like getting good grades on assignments and comments from professors, particularly when you feel inadequate, yet God is showing you that He's right there with you and gave you this gift and passion so He'll help you see you it through. It's in the big things, the little things that we can see God's faithfulness. 

He's Been Faithful
Faithful To Me
Looking Back He's Love And Mercy I See
Though In My Heart I Have Questioned
And Failed To Believe
He's Been Faithful, Faithful To Me

 

No comments: