Having not been in the US for an Indiana summer in 4 years, I forgot how weird it can be. Storms, nasty humidity, heat, random bits of scorching sun... I though Nanjing was bad! But I will say, at least here there is proper air conditioning. I've never been more thankful for a/c in my life. But the storms have been interesting lately. For 4 days in a row, there were thunderstorm warnings over most of the state and some pretty serious flooding and wind damage. Despite all that, our almost 150 year old house still stands :) But our border collie, Dulcie, had a rough time of it. She's terrified of storms and spent many nights either in the corner behind the door of the bathroom, in my parents' closet, or in her new spot as of last night, behind Raul's and my bedroom door. I feel sorry for her, but it's pretty funny :) I think she's happier than any of us that the sun is finally out...and the humidity isn't even that bad.
In addition to working on my book, I'm also reading quite a bit of books. Some of my most recent reading.... (in no particular order...and don't judge me for some of the selections. there's an eclectic bookshelf to choose from)
I just started this one a couple of days ago...it's my "nighttime reading", so it stays in my bedroom. Big Frank Peretti fan. He writes some really interesting Christian fiction.
I've read several of her books, and I really like them. They don't require a ton of brain power, and that's partly why they make good summer reading.

Another one I'm reading at the moment (yes, for some reason, I read 2 at a time, but very rarely). I've been tackling this one as I sit outside in the sunshine. It's yet another book about China.
once again, a book that doesn't require a lot of brain power, but some of DS's books can be fun reads. Next on my list of hers is the newest, Big Girl.

The tail-end of this book started my summer, and it was such an interesting book. I've become so fascinated with historical books, both fiction and non-fiction, and this one is just great. I've always been fascinated by Lincoln and his assassination (since it took place on my birthday), so I really enjoyed this one. Read it if you get the chance.
Future summer reading:
Take Four by Karen Kingsbury. Mom, my aunt, and I are headed to Bloomington next week for a 2-day Karen Kingsbury event when the book is released. If you've read any of her Baxter Family books, you'll appreciate the event when I tell you more about it next week :)
Hopefully a Jodi Piccoult book that I can't think of the name of right now, but it's her newest one.
A couple Terry Blackstock books.
And I'm sure several others...it wouldn't an Indiana summer if I didn't read, oh...about 20 books :)


No comments:
Post a Comment