There is a time when I'm not homesick. Anyone want to guess when that is? Anyone? I bet it'll surprise ya!
Election time.
Gosh I hate all this political stuff, and I'm so glad I'm over here for yet another election. When I first arrived in Nanjing 4 years ago, we were in the throws of the Bush re-election campaign, and I couldn't wait to get away from it when I moved overseas. Now, we're in the middle of a big shift of power (whether a Republican or Democrat is elected, I maintain it's still a shift...some of you who are Democrats might disagree with me. you're allowed), and again, I'm glad I'm overseas. I can pick and choose how much I want to listen to and read online. I don't have to watch endless campaign ads on tv (I certainly don't miss those). And I can mock anything and everything all I want without people listening to me :) In the US, you always have to be afraid of who you'll offend. Over here, I'm giving my husband an education, but I just don't talk about it with my American friends all that much.
More so than us electing a new president, I just look forward to the campaigning being over. I get so tired of hearing about, and it seems like it's been going on for the past 2 years. I'm sure some of you who are actually in the US would agree with me at least a little that you're ready for it to be over already.
All I can do is just ask the Father that the right person be elected, whoever that may be. There's a lot at stake for our country, and whoever is chosen has a lot of weight on his shoulders. So in the midst of all the ads you watch, the speeches you hear, the debates you'll soon be watching, and the stories you read, remember to lift our leader up to the Father. Ultimately, it's who He allows to be in power anyway, so why not lift him up in your thoughts? Ask that we would make the right choice as a nation, then follow that person (even if we don't like him). We are so blessed to even have the right to elect (after living her for 4 years, I see that now more than ever), so please please...take it seriously, put aside the bickerings, jokes, slanders, and just talk to the Father about it.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment