I looked forward to a semester where I would actually have all my textbooks on hand from the beginning of the semester, and I, stupidly, thought that would mean I'd be doing less research on the internet for my classes. Wrong-o. My middle school grammar and reading classes are proving me dead wrong.
For grammar, I've been driving myself and my students crazy trying to explain the difference between when to use present perfect tense and present perfect continuous tense. It's insane. Think it's easy? Think again. And don't use the phrase "it is because it is". That doesn't fly. I've found a great explanation on the internet, but when one of those explanations includes "they both have the same meaning"....argh. That doesn't help when I have to explain it to ESL students who want a better explanation when they have to study for an upcoming midterm. I'll just do the best I can I guess.
Then there's middle school E Asian American literature. What a handful of info to study and read. I enjoy the material, given that I didn't study too much Asian American lit or history in school...and particularly since I'm in Asia, teaching Asians, and engaged to an Asian...it's really good for me. But there's a lot of extra work involved. Right now I'm researching Angel Island, the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and why white Americans felt it necessary to put restrictions on Chinese immigration in the 19th and early 20th century. Now to decipher what's important for my students to know...
And the week goes on. It's Wednesday (despite what the date says on this post) and we have 2 days til parents arrive. Ready? We'll see.
Oh...and GO Indians!!
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment