Friday, March 4, 2016

the past year and a half

When we moved back to the US, it was my hope that I could find a job that would allow me to teach English as a second language in my home country. Through many ups and downs, time in public schools, and a masters degree, I accepted a position in what would be our new home of Fort Wayne. And, as I told students and staff at my final ELS graduation today, that decision changed my life and was one of the best decisions I ever made.

It's only been a year and a half, but for me, this was a pivotal period of time in my life. I have realized what was possible in my chosen field, a field that I am passionate about and love so much. I have seen where I can go in this field, should I choose to go outside of the classroom in the future (if given the opportunity). But most of all, I have learned and grown so much as a teacher. I have been able to develop materials for my classroom, work with an established curriculum, adapt to student needs, and teach a diverse group of students that spans language learning levels. But aside from all of that "professional stuff"...

I have taught nationalities and people groups I honestly wasn't sure I could ever have the chance to teach. I don't know why I thought this, but similar to my move to China that came out of nowhere, I didn't see myself seeing Middle Eastern students. But am I thrilled beyond belief that I've had that opportunity? Absolutely. This morning after my final graduation to end my last session, some former students gathered around me for a group picture. Once the picture had been taken, one of them yelled out, "Group hug!" and before I knew it, I was being surrounded by my dear, sweet Angolans in a hug that I wish I could have just bottled up to take with me every time I miss my students.

I have made some lifelong friends. I've always been the type that wants to get something more out of her work environment, become friends with her coworkers and maintain good relationships both at work and outside of work. The Lord blessed me in Nanjing with amazing coworkers at NEIS. I made great friends in my time at MG in the different schools as I worked as an aide or substitute teacher. And I feel that I hit the jackpot once again with this job. We truly were a team. We griped together. We got each other through the tough days. We made each other laugh and even memorialized our laughs on a quotes board that still hangs in the work room. And in some ways, we were a family. I've certainly seen more of them lately than I have my own family in recent months. I'm incredibly, truly grateful for each and every teacher and staff member, both past and present.


This truly has been an amazing experience, and I'm so thankful. I don't know what God has in store for me next, but as student reminded me today, I'm certain I will move on to something even greater.

No comments: