Three of my summers as a college student were spent working for the conference services department. Many universities are run like hotels/convention centers during the summer, IWU included, and I was a student worker in this department (director during my 2nd year). I loved this job, still consider it to be one of my favorite jobs ever. The people we met during the summer, the pride I felt in my university, the good times with the staff...all of it made for some very memorable summers. It was during my first summer on staff that I became familiar with a local missions organization that I had never heard of. In talking with them, something struck me about what I should do with my life. I realized I wanted to go into some sort of ministry with my teaching, and not just the "Messiah complex" I went into college with, where I was going to save public school students with my teaching (I know, I know...). I wanted to do something that could make an impact. But I didn't know how.
I changed majors once again, this time to intercultural studies. At my university, this major entails missions/evangelism classes with linguistics and cross-cultural communication thrown in (it may be more involved than that now, I have no idea). I was excited, and it turned out to be the best decision for me. I was finally able to see where God was leading me. However, something still lingered...how to include my passion for teaching?
In the spring of my junior year, I went on a 2-week missions trip to Madrid, Spain. Our team worked with local missionaries who ministered to South American immigrants, through Bible studies, physical activities and fellowship, as well as ESL classes. This was my first exposure to what ESL looked like, and I was intrigued. While I was there, I met with the the Spain director for the misssions organization I had met at IWU, and he shared with me the possibilities of serving in Spain. The ball was rolling.
As a senior intercultural studies major, I was to get into some sort of missions internship, whether in the home office or on the field. I chose the field, specifically teaching ESL and connected, once again, with the same missions organization. I was first presented with an opportunity in Brazil, but that quickly changed to Madrid, since I had already been there and (secretly) wanted to go back at some point. Madrid it was... and the ball continued to roll.
In August of 2003, I left for Madrid, eager to see what God had in store. I spent the first couple of weeks adjusting to the climate (during one of hottest summers Europe had ever seen), the culture, the language, my fellow missionaries, and the church where I would serve. Then, in September, I was enrolled in a CELTA course which would certify me to teaching English to adult learners. It was the best experience, and something I refer to many times during my MA classes now. I met some wonderful people, both my classmates and my students, and still keep in touch with some of them to this day (the miracle of Facebook). When I received my CELTA, it was time to jump into teaching.
For the next 2 1/2 months, I dove into ESL...and fell in love. This is where my passion for TESOL was born and ya'll... I was hooked. Long story short, after that experience, I knew I was meant to be overseas for the near future. Fast forward 10 years. The next year, I took a huge leap of faith and moved to China. A one year commitment turned into 2, changed jobs and it turned into 3, then 4 and 5. I met the love of my life and we got married. God revealed His plan for us to go back to the States and for me to turn my career focus to the US. And on and on it goes....
Two days ago I met with a dear friend who is about to begin her own Spain journey. Actually, she's continuing it. After serving in an ESL ministry for part of last summer, she felt God's leading to go back, but this time for 2 years. It's exciting to see the same excitement and nerves she feels, because I was there 10 years ago. I remember those feelings very well, and I'm so happy for her. As we talked, I shared with her about what the month of August means to me. Since I am a teacher, I think in terms of school years, not the normal "January to December" calendar like most people, and August has often signaled the beginning of something for me. Ten years ago, it was a move to Spain. A year later, it was a move to China. Four years ago, it was a move back to the US. And on it continues this August as I face the last semester of grad school and a whole lot of uncertainty about the future.
Ten years ago, I took a leap of faith and my life was never the same. I wonder what I will be able to say in another 10 years.
me in 2003, taken from a view in Madrid that I fell in love with...the Palacio Real and Catedral de Almudena

2 comments:
Isn't it amazing when we look back at all God has done in our lives?
P.S. Can't wait for school to start!
I am so proud of you and what you have accomplished following God's will every day. We pray for your future and we are anxious to see what your next adventure will be under God's direction!
Love you so much.
Mom
Post a Comment