Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

For the past 2 years, I gave up Facebook during the season of Lent. And while I gleaned much from the experience, it became less of a challenge. If it only took me 2 years to realize this, then it was definitely time for a change. So this year, I felt led to do something that would lead to, hopefully, a lifestyle change. I'm giving up sweets. This means no chocolate on Valentine's Day (and Raul bought me some, so away it goes into hiding until Easter), no Easter candy (a favorite, especially Reese's eggs), no dark chocolate, no key lime pie in Florida next month, and no Jujuberry fro-yo or Ivanhoe's. I'm a sweets addict, and it has got to stop.

Through the years, particularly during my marriage, I have been motivated off and on to lose weight and I have failed...miserably. Mainly I have failed because I hate most forms of exercise, except for walking, but I just don't do much of it. So I figured the best and most efficient way for me to see if I can shed some pounds is to change my eating habits by cutting out sweets. I'm not a terribly unhealthy eater, I just like my sweets...and that's been my biggest problem. I drink a lot of water, I love vegetables, I eat fairly balanced meals. But the sweets are what get me. Time for a change. So, what better time to implement this change than during Lent.

So here we go...

excerpt from Day 1 of the Devotions for Lent I downloaded on our Kindle (free, by the way):
Footprints of Jesus
that make the pathway glow;
We will follow the steps of Jesus
Where'er they go.

Lord, may this season point me away from bad habits and toward You, toward the plan You have for me, the love You have for me, and the sacrifice You made for me.

No comments: