On this first official day of Christmas break, a day early because of a snow day, I thought I'd share a fun snow memory from the China days. When I got home from work yesterday, thinking about the snow that was to come last night/early this morning, this particular story came to mind as I looked forward to the first "real" snow of the season here in Indiana. I've seen snow many times...many many times...but for some reason, I still get giddy the first time of the season. Yesterday was no exception, so maybe that's why this memory came to me...
It takes place in 2006. Nanjing was hosting the conference that winter, an event that took place in the summer and winter of each year and brought together international fellowships from all across eastern China. It was the first day of the conference, and I was leading the worship for one of the opening sessions. As I'm rehearsing with the team, I turn around to see that a new vocalist has decided to join at the last minute. He was a Zambian, living in Guangzhou at the time, and had just arrived with the others from Guangzhou. He saw that we were rehearsing, liked what he heard, and wanted to join. Just like that. So...we let him. :) Later the same day, while we were having a fellowship time after one of the sessions, it started to snow in Nanjing. Nanjing is not known for heavy snow like northern China, but it can get decent amounts...and this was a decent amount coming down. Well, my new friend from Guangzhou was beyond excited. He had never seen snow before! So he asked me to go with him down to the bottom floor of the hotel where we were meeting and out into the parking lot to see the snow for the first time. I followed him, camera in-hand. The look on his face when he saw the snow for the first time....I wish I could find my picture (and now I'll definitely have to look for it). It was priceless. And what he said as he stood out in the snow, "It's so beautiful!" with a big smile on his face... it brought new joy to my heart and an appreciation for the fluffy white stuff I had always taken for granted. Child-like enthusiasm coming from an adult. It makes me smile nearly 7 years later as I remember it.
I know I don't always do a good job of this, but I don't want there to be a time where I take things for granted, even things like a first snowfall.
**edit** I have found the picture from 2006...pre-Facebook era, so it took some digging. I need to get all my China photos in one place. Anyway, here it is...
Friday, December 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment