Some of you know that our summer took an unexpected turn when my aunt (my dad's oldest brother's wife) passed away a couple of weeks ago. My family out on the east coast took a week to prepare for a memorial service, and the following weekend, my parents and I as well as my dad's other brother and his wife in Ohio went out to be with family. We joined up with my uncle, my 2 older cousins, one of said cousin's family (husband and 2 teenage kids), as well as my aunt's brother, his wife, and daughter, and my cousin's in-laws.
The Whitmore side of my hasn't always been physically close. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I'd seen my cousins, it certainly hadn't been since the oldest had gotten married. So for one, it was a weekend to see family I hadn't seen in ages and had only been in touch with since the wonder of facebook surfaced. We Whitmores are a unique bunch, and even when it's been years, we can act like no time has passed. Must be a family thing :) But the weekend was such a blessing. I was really glad I was able to go with my parents, too (Raul and my brother had to work, so they couldn't go along). That family time is irreplaceable to me, especially after years abroad, so I knew that taking the time I had was so important. Definitely not sure when it will happen again. So, the actual part of the trip that included seeing family...so so special. Though it was under unfortunate circumstances and my aunt was missed every moment, I know that she would have been so glad the family was all together.
The trip to and from the east coast was pretty eventful. We spent more time in the car than actually at the Cape, so Mom, Dad, and I made the most of it. On the way to the Cape, we stayed overnight at Niagara Falls. Two days before we left, I realized that the Thursday night we would be there was 24 hours before Nik Wallenda would walk across the falls. So, we took advantage of it. We were able to see Terrapin Point and the cables that Wallenda would walk across from the US to Canada, see the news media that had gathered to capture the event, and be a part of the influx of tourists to the falls because of the historic event. The next evening, we didn't watch the walk on tv as we were spending time with family. By the time we got back to our hotel, we saw his last few steps across the cable and his interviews with border patrol and media. Then, through the magic of dvr, we were able to watch the whole thing when we returned to Indiana. Something that I was excited to see and hear was the faith of Nik Wallenda. I wondered out loud before the walk happened if he was a Christian. My dad jokingly said something like "With a job like that, you'd have to be!" True. I can't imagine. But to see and hear Nik's faith as he prepared for the walk (hand-holding prayer circle before his family was taken to the finish line in Canada), his verbal praises (not prayers, but praises! I don't know about you, but I'd probably be praying) as he walked across, and his declaration of how he made it through on the other side and stating his purpose as to inspire others... what a humble, humble guy.
That walk across the falls was pretty monumental, but I think to see the cable in person, to see the majesty of the falls and what he walked across...all of it was even more real to me. Put that together with why I was even at the falls that particular day, and it hit me.
Life is short. The unexpected could happen. You could fall off a wire doing what you love. You could find out you have cancer and that there's nothing the doctors can do. We don't know why God lets things happen, and it's not our job to know this side of heaven. We'll understand on the other side of glory when we see the bigger picture, and we'll know what He intended all along. But it is our job right now, where we are, with whatever we're doing, to serve Him, to love Him, to serve others, and to love others.
Saturday, June 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment