Sunday, May 2, 2010

2 years ago


Last Sunday, I went to a bridal shower at our new church. This was the first shower I'd been to since my own, so I was doing a lot of "comparisons" in my head and remembering what it was like overseas, wondering what it would have been like here, etc. Then, yesterday I was looking through my blogs from 2 years ago, before the wedding and after, and remembering what a crazy, crazy time that was for us.

Honestly, there's nothing like the process of getting married. Now multiply that times 10 and you've got what it's like to get married in another country, away from all your family. That alone was a difficult choice, but our families, great as they are, were so supportive. So Raul and I decided, I think even before we got engaged, that we would get married in Nanjing...where we'd met, gone to church, and developed friendships and a new "family" for the past few years. And God honored that decision.

The process was never easy, though. Being foreigners, there was a lot of paperwork to check on and complete before our Christian ceremony. I always had to take someone shopping with me when I wanted to buy wedding decorations or had tailoring appointments for the dresses. Megan, Danielle, and our dear Malaysian friends Jiaxing and Tyanshin (who are also getting married soon) were the biggest helps we could have ever asked for. Mainly thanks to Danielle, I had the most beautiful dress tailored-made for me (who else can say that?) in gorgeous Suzhou satin. Thanks to Megan (and Mrs. Prenevost), I had gorgeous ceremony and reception decorations and Megan's fabulous photography all the way through. Thanks to Jiaxing and Tyanshin, were able to marry in the church where we had first met and use great transportation on our wedding day. Thanks to Maryann and Kennedy, we have a video of our special day. There were just so many people who helped us, I still can't believe it. God knew our need and met us right where we were with so many friends helping us along the way.

All of these are things I will never forget, memories that are forever etched in my mind. But the best memory of all? Marrying my best friend.

1 comment:

laylablue said...

your wedding photo is lovely
i would love to hear more about your wedding adventures!