Tuesday, October 27, 2009

on a Tuesday

I have so many things I want to blog about, mostly having to do with the classroom I've been working with lately, but I'm nowhere near qualified to write my opinions on a public blog where things could be misunderstood. But I will say that I'm still learning so much from this job. It's not a full-time job, since I'm still technically a substitute. However, it has turned into a long-term thing (not sure how long a long-term thing is at this point), and I'm in the classroom on a daily basis.
Several teachers at the school have approached me and wondered if I'm in the position permanently, and I tell them no, but that I'm happy to be there. I often get looks of sympathy, understanding, and sometimes even a bit of a "wow, better you than me" look. But I really do love it. This morning, a 6th grade teacher was talking to me about how her sister, the most impatient person she knew, had accepted a job at a local center for disabled people. God had turned it into a situation where she learned patience firsthand and how to love on people. I would say that I'm learning that as well. I came back to the States, thinking maybe I'd be in a comfort zone (though going through reverse culture shock), but we all know that He has a sense of humor...and I was called to help out with these special students. And, what's more, I'm loving it.
There are definitely difficult moments. Though I'm happy there, it's not always easy...but it doesn't come in moments where I want to pull my hair out, it's when I just don't understand the home lives of some students, their behavior, and what they put on the teachers. This is where my inexperience comes in, but you don't have to be an expert to see the difficulties. In the meantime, I do what I can, offer suggestions when I can, and mostly observe and learn. I love the teacher and aides I work with. Our teacher has the most incredible patience, plus a firm but tender spirit. That's hard to find in people. And I've discovered that I want to be more like her. She's younger than me, fresh out of college, but someone I've learned so much from. She makes me want to be a better teacher.

Hodge podge of a blog today, but that's where my head is.

No comments: