Monday, July 20, 2009

camp, day 3

Day 3 in Yangzhou, day 2 of teaching. And it has been interesting so far. I'm trying not to think about what day it is most of the time, as I know that'll only make the time go slower. But I just remembered that it's Monday...and I felt a little bummed. We're trying to enjoy ourselves, but it's just too darn hot, there's waaay too many mosquitoes, and the camp itself has been a trial so far. We don't work a lot of hours (unlike last year), but we have very long days (you know something's wrong if that's the case). There are pros and cons. This is a very high profile camp (google Li Yang Crazy English and you may get an idea), but it's still very chaotic a lot of times. There are 1300 students in the camp, starting with primary students as young as 11 or 12 and going up to even adults in one class. Pretty much insane.

But we've met some great people here, Chinese and foreigners, one of whom, our new friend Annamarie, just recently moved to Nanjing with her Chinese husband. So we'll have a little bit more time with her when the camp is over. And the city itself fascinates me. There are hardly any people! I heard the city has about 1-2 million, but I think I've seen 5? It's a bit weird. And maybe we've only seen a certain part, but the city even has a Starbucks, a couple Dairy Queens and even a Wal-Mart, but we still can't find many people. Coming from Nanjing, it's almost eerie :) Maybe this is my preparation for moving back home :)

Hopefully photos will follow soon. There's some interesting ones that show you what the teaching method is like for LYCE...stay tuned!

No comments: