Yesterday just before my 3rd period class, the sirens began to go off. I looked out my classroom window to see if there were any effects out in pukou, but people continued to walk down the street. Maybe the gray day reflected what yesterday marked. And in the city, I'm sure the moment of silence was honored. What was yesterday? The 70th anniversary of the day the Japanese marched into Nanjing and began what is now known as the Rape of Nanking.
Here's msnb.com's take on yesterday with some photos from Nanjing and the re-opening of the massacre memorial. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22251281/
I've been to the memorial 3 times, probably 2 times more than I should have gone, and after imagining what it looks like since the renovation, I'm not sure I want to go back. It was hard enough before the renovation. Although, there is a certain part I'd like to go back to see and learn more about... the refugee aid part of the events of 1937, John Rabe and the other foreigners who helped save so many Nanjingren all those years ago. It's amazing to see how foreigners in this city wanted to do their part and help wherever they could, however they could.
So what can I do? As a foreigner, what is my part? I can do just as I did 3 years ago when I first visited the memorial and realized what had happened (since my American education failed me in that area of history), I hope and ask Him for bridges to be rebuilt, bridges that can be mended by this generation of Chinese youth. That 2 countries can mend their relationship and look beyond the past, into the future.
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment