Hope sleeps without me
Her sweet dreams surround me,
But I'm left out
I'll need a fix now
To believe, to feel
These rooms are dark now
These halls are hollow,
And so am I
She is hard to find now
To believe
To see
Hope is what we crave, and that will never change
So I stand and wait
I need a drop of grace to carry me today,
A simple song to say
It's written on my soul:
Hope's what we crave
I won't turn to dust now
Let these tears rust now on my face
Give me the spark now
To believe
To see
For King and Country's "Crave"
When you give up something for Lent, the word crave has a meaning all its own. There are times where you simply crave what it is that you gave up, what you sacrificed, and you long for Easter Sunday to come so your life can "go back to normal". I have been so guilty of this, particularly the past few days, to the point where I feel so childish at times complaining about my craving. The craving, the deprevation I have faced these past 38 days is nothing in comparison.
I think about what it must have been like on that Friday. To see the man you have followed and given up your life to, in turn, just give up like that, give up to be beaten and tortured, flogged and humiliated, dragged through the streets, nailed to a cross, then put on display for all to see. I imagine that those who followed Him wondered where on earth was their faith, their hope. They could only see the here and now, what was happening in that moment, and didn't understand what was to come. They thought their Lord and Master had succumbed to death and evil.
But we know differently. We as believers today have something the disciples and followers back then didn't then...hope. We have hope in what comes after, 3 days later. We know that the story didn't end there on the cross when Jesus took His last breath and that Easter is coming. So as I prepare to take part in my church's Tenebrae service at noon today and know that I am to leave that sanctuary solemn and reverent toward the sacrific my Lord made, in my soul I can rejoice because I know that Resurrection Sunday is coming. "Give me the spark now, to believe, to see."
Friday, March 29, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment