Monday, August 13, 2012

summer ends










I really don't know where summer went. I spent the first month and a half not really accomplishing anything I had set out to do this summer, then before I knew it, the end was nearing and I was suddenly busy traveling, volunteering, and prepping for the beginning of a new school year. Time tends to go fast, that's for sure. We went into a new month while I was visiting a friend, and before I know it...that month is just about half over already. Seriously. Slow down already!

But I will admit, I'm ready to be back in a routine. My classes promise to be more difficult this semester, no question, but I look forward to the challenge. Raul has a new job that seems to be going well so far. We're just moving right along... and I'm writing this blog to, partly, remind myself that I do have much to be thankful for and many great memories to treasure.

First, God answered our prayers for rain. For many, unfortunately, it was too little too late, and for some it came with down trees and loss of electricity. But for others, we took what we could get when we got it. And, for the past few days, it's definitely made the temperatures so much better. 70s? In August? In Indiana? If you can believe it! :)

We went to opening day of Colts training camp down in Anderson to see #12, Andrew Luck, our new quarterback in action for the first time. It was definitely weird seeing all these new faces and checking the roster for names to put with numbers, but I think the true Colts fans are excited about the possibilities. And after our first win (no, smackdown) in the preseason yesterday...we're pretty optimistic.

I took my first road trip by myself out to western Illinois to visit this gal for 5 awesome days. the last time we saw each other, she was getting married, so we really didn't get to spend time hanging out. This time made up for that. Jamie's parents were gracious enough to put up with me for those days while I stayed with the family and got to hang out with my dear friend while she is in the States. It was hard to leave, but the great thing about our friendship (and advances in technology) is that it never feels like it's been as long as it's been. I'm so very blessed to have her as a friend.
Last summer, Raul and I volunteered for the first time at Summer's Cool, a reading program sponsored by our church for elementary-age kids in the community. This year, Raul was visiting his mom, so I did the program by myself. But I had a blast. This year, we went through the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I had never read it, so I went through the book the same as the kids did during the read-aloud sessions. I was so blessed by the parallels that were made between the story of Edward and his journey and our walk as Christians. Hoping to buy my own copy of the book soon and have it as a reference for our kids someday.



I really was blessed so much by the events of the past few weeks. As hard it is for me to think about the fact that it's nearing 3 years for us to be in the States and we're *still* in Indiana...I can't forget His blessings. I may be frustrated and discouraged by our lack of "moving on", but God really is so good. He's given us friends, a great church, great ministry, and jobs. He's given us great memories while we've been here, and He's never forgotten us. And though I may not feel quite satisfied and still long for that "moving on", all those blessings are enough to feel like we're exactly where we're supposed to be.

No comments: