We had a really great weekend with my family, spending time in Fairmount and Indianapolis. Fairmount's fireworks were on Saturday night, but before dusk, some local churches, organizations, and vendors had booths set up at the park. Our church set up a booth sponsored by one of the growth groups called Reverb. They do community outreach, service projects, and odd jobs in the area, so for the celebration, they put together a booth giving away sno cones, glow necklaces, and face painting. I was in charge of the face painting (hadn't done it since my missions trip to Madrid in 2002, but it was fun!). When the booth closed up, we were able to enjoy the fireworks.
enjoying the Fairmount fireworks with my hubby...my first Independence Day at home in 4 years, and his first in the US :)
a little Fairmount fireworks
On Sunday, we had a great service at FWC in the morning. Pastor Al spoke on true freedom that we have as Americans, then ended with his main focal point, where true freedom comes from: in Christ. It was such a great service and ended with the congregation singing God Bles America. I was in tears through most of it and after the service. Between that song and the national anthem (especially at baseball games for some reason), I tear up a lot. After being gone for so long, those moments tug on my heartstrings, and I know I'm not the only one.
That afternoon, we met my brother in Indy and celebrated his birthday (today actually) as well as the 4th and had lunch at Cheesecake Factory, shopped a bit, then had a cookout at his apartment for dinner before heading downtown for Indy's fireworks.
I'm so blessed that Raul and I were here this 4th of July. For my husband, an immigrant, it was special to celebrate the national holiday of a country that has become dear to him. For me, an expat who has come home, it was special to be back home in a free country and to share the "special-ness' of the holiday with my husband and my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment