Monday, September 28, 2009

James Dean Days

There are some, my Danish friend Marianne included, who have always wondered what the big deal is about my hometown and these James Dean Days. So, here's your education for the week...and if you're from the Grant County area, you don't have to continue reading...or you can, and correct my inaccuracies and judgments ;)

James Dean Days is officially called Museum Days, started and run by the Fairmount Historical Museum. The main focus, as the local name suggests, is James Dean. He was born in Marion and grew up in Fairmount, raised by his aunt and uncle in a farmhouse just outside town. He went to and graduated from Fairmount High School (now a deserted building that needs to be torn down, but the town can't afford to), but then he moved out to California to be in the movies. He did 3 movies before he died in a car accident at the age of (I think?) 26. He was filming his 3rd movie, Giant, when he died. So far, I've only seen Rebel Without a Cause, but just from that movie, I know he really was a great actor who could have graced us with many more great movies had he not died so young. Along with Elvis and Marilyn Monroe, he's considered a cultural icon of the '50's and '60's. So anyway...my little town is famous for him and for (and here's the reason for the statue you mentioned, Marianne) Jim Davis, the creator of Garfield. So every year, we have this 3-day festival that mainly centers around James Dean, classic cars, and the culture of the '50's and '60's. Live entertainment usually includes rockabilly groups, do-wop, an Elvis impersonator (who I went to high school with), groups who cover oldies songs (local favorite Surrender Dorothy), and on Sunday my high school's show choir and band always do concerts. We have lots of good fair food, rides, vendors, and a classic car show at the park. It's been a tradition in this area for years, despite attempts by a nearby town to start their own version of the car show , and it's a huge boost to the town every year. For a small town of around 3000...it's a big deal.
For the locals, it's a weekend to see people you haven't seen in awhile (in my case, years). I was able to see a few old friends, but I mostly ignored some I went to high school with. This probably wasn't so nice of me, but I felt so awkward. When it's been so long, you never know who remembers you, how they remember you, and...I don't know...but I probably could've done a better job of trying to reconnect with people. In addition to that, I skipped my high school 10 year reunion....also, probably not the nicest thing to do. Part of me wishes I had gone, and like my friend Misty's husband told me yesterday, I'll probably regret not going for the next 10 years. Maybe so. For now, I'll rely on spending time with the people I'd really missed the past 5 years or so and try to rebuild my life in the US.

As for Raul, well, I think he enjoyed it too :) You'll have to ask him. One of these days, I'll get him to blog (I promise, Jamie).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY!!! I got my education for the day - it's just a sligthly bizarre combo of James Dean and Garfield but hey if that's what your hometown is famous for...
Oh, and I might add that the other two James Dean films are worth watching as well so get on that!

Thanks for taking the time to educate me :o)

Marianne