Friday, August 7, 2009

worship songs

I guess I'm in a "trip down memory lane" kind of mood. Nostalgia and sentimentality is settling in the last days in Nanjing. Piggy-backing off the last post, I thought I'd post up some of my favorite worship songs that we've sung at NICF in the past 5 years and have really stuck in my mind. Lyrics and melody really move me, but so does the power of a song. It doesn't have to up-tempo for me to get excited by it, it just has to be filled with the Spirit. If you see a song you've never heard before, please go to youtube and check it out...
So here they are, in random order.

Shout to the Lord - a classic, and has also been known as "Caitlin's song" among the worship leaders ;) I've led this one many times over the years.
Touching Heaven, Changing Earth - if you're a minister of the Word (which should be everyone), especially in a foreign land, these lyrics will really touch you. the first time I led this song was at my second winter conference...when my good friend Emmanuel literally jumped into the worship team :)
Hear Our Praises - I love the melody so so much...and the first verse "We will seek your face Almighty God, turn and pray for you to heal our land" also hits ministers of the Word
Dwell in Your House - Raul and I have always thought of this as "our worship song"... the first time he came to Nanjing after we started dating, he joined the worship team with Jiaxing, Annie, and me, and we sang this song with just an acoustic guitar...it's always had a special place in our hearts. of course, I love the lyrics, too.
Friend of God - Memories of singing this song with the full team and Kennedy leading worship... just makes me smile :) Israel Houghton would be proud :)
I Know Who I Am / I Will Search - 2 other Israel Houghton songs that have deeply touched me. I love the lyrcis so much. I Know Who I Am has one of the simplest lyrics, but it's the simple ones that often grab you. Like Friend of God, these songs really speak to the relationship we have with the Father.
Other special ones not just because of the song, but because of NICF memories...
You Reign (Marco Witt) - singing this in Spanish or in English...it's one of the most fun praise songs :) especially with Guido or Pablo on the keyboard :)
God is Good, All the Time - our honky-tonk version with Uli on the keyboard...yeah, good stuff :)
There's No One Like Jesus - if you've ever been at the NICF for an extended period of time, no doubt you've sung and danced to this song....sung in 4 languages (English, Chinese, French, and Bemba), it's a classic NICF song...and I'm proud to say I managed to memorize the entire thing :) my pronunciation is probably waaaay off, but I know all the words :)
Totela Bay Yahweh: I know I butchered the spelling of the title of the song, but this African song about giving praise to the Father also just makes you want to get up and dance :)

I have so many other favorites, these are just a few.... I thank Him for the gift of music.

No comments: